5 B's to the Perfect Turkey
1. BONE IN BREAST Skip the whole bird and go for a Bone-In Breast. Bone-In is key as it provides a cavity structure for the steps to come. And if you are set on a whole bird, you can apply the next four steps as well.
2. BRINE 1 cup salt + 1 gallon water makes a simple brine. We suggest Alchemy's Hickory Smoked Salt OR All Purpose Seasoned Salt as you will also be infusing flavor while the brine tenderizes the meat. Brine up to 36 hours.
3. BUTTER under the skin. Mix a Tablespoon of Alchemy Herbed Pepper with 1 stick of softened unsalted butter. Place 1/3 under the skin of one lobe, 1/3 under the skin of the lobe. Turn the breast so that cavity is facing skyward and place the remaining 1/3 in the cavity .
4. BELLY full of fruit & aromatics. Quarter an orange, a granny smith apple, and a large onion. On top of herbed butter, fill cavity with the pieces, squeezing orange to release juice. Tuck in fresh sage, thyme, & rosemary.
5. BREAST SIDE DOWN Roast with the breast meat towards the bottom of your baking dish. This allows the juices from the bone, butter, and belly full of fruit & aromatics to infuse the meat.
Be warned! While this may be counter to the traditional roasting position, this will be the most delicious, moist turkey that you have ever eaten. And the pan drippings can be thickened to make an out of this world gravy.
Roast turkey at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes per pound or until meat thermometer reads 160 degrees. There is no need to cover turkey while roasting, but tent with foil after removing from oven. Let rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.